Monday 7 July 2008

Books - Prospero's Books



Last week I was talking to my two friends Ricardo and Bruno about one of my all time favourite films - Peter Greenway's Prospero's Books (with the great John Gielgud)- an adaptation of Shakespeare's The Tempest, with a musical score by Michael Nyman. If you've never seen a Greenway film, this should be it - so rich in colour, text, texture, sound, smell - a delight.And as I thought of the film, I remembered so many things - my past - almost 16 years ago - a masterclass with Nyman on his composing process and then a premier performance of the Prospero's Books score - just very special - music you can sink into. Then about 10 years ago I presented bits of the film to my advanced students - what a laugh it was - I think Ildiko will remember! In fact, we both took a masterclass with Greenway here in Rio - what a wonderful day that was. And I rounded it off with a performance of his 100 Objects to represent the world - a prop opera based on the absurdity of the idea of 1 single culture (USA / nasa) selecting 117 objects to represent mankind in outerspace - the opera was an answer to this one sided view of culture. This was also simply devine and a great shared moment with my brother - we sat afterwards talking about it as people left and started dismantling the stage.
PS - A word of warning for those faint of heart - there's a lot of nudity in the video clip!

1 comment:

  1. I too (your little bro') remember that day. Greenway's films require you to relax and let yourself be washed over by the textures, sounds, colours, transcending rational thought...they are animated musical canvasses, a gorgeous, saliva dribbling feast on the senses.

    Bruno França

    ReplyDelete